Unfortunately, allergies can affect people at any age. Allergies can start in infants with food or eczema and seem to worsen through childhood – often peaking in young adulthood. Allergies can come and go throughout life which can make them even more frustrating to deal with. There are many ways to combat allergies. Here are a few tips to try this season:
- Stay indoors on dry, windy days – pollen and other allergens are kicked up during heavy winds or lengthy periods of dryness in the weather.
- Delegate lawn mowing, weed pulling, and other gardening shores to someone else within your family – these activities tend to stir up allergens.
- Change your clothes after coming in from outside – pollen and other allergens can easily collect on clothes, skin, and hair.
- Don’t hang your laundry out to dry – clothes easily collect allergens that can be transferred to your hair or skin.
- If you’re going to be outside doing chores, try wearing a pollen mask
Another tip you can try is using high-efficiency filters with your forced air heating or air conditioning. HEPA filters can also help remove allergens from bedrooms and other living spaces to help you sleep better at night and function within your home during the day.
Lastly, if reducing your exposure to allergens isn’t working for you, you can try over-the-counter remedies such as oral antihistamines, decongestants, or nasal sprays.
Are you still experiencing problematic symptoms? Even with some of the best efforts, allergies can still affect you in a negative way. Thankfully, we are here to help! We can help you manage your allergies this season. Schedule an appointment with an expert today!